Second Custom Rifle Build
Marlin Action
Green Mountain Barrel
Caliber 204 Ruger

March 22nd, 2017

Got out and shot the new rifle this morning. I had already fired 3 test rounds through the barrel but then disassembled everything in order to blue the barrel. That meant resetting head space and the whole 9 yards. I am OK with all that because it is a great training. It chisels away at the fear factor and builds a little confidence.

This morning I only needed 18 rounds through the barrel to complete the break in procedure that I always use, which is fire 3 and clean.

The scope I had installed was an old Simmons 8-32X44 Varmint (fine reticle) with sun shade made in Japan or the Philippines, not the Chinese wonder they produce today. I tried this scope last summer on a Remington 700 in 204 and ripped it off the gun in frustration. It looked good when I mounted it but at the range I could not get it to focus or cooperate. I figured I would give it one more chance before running it through the chipper shredder.

Back at the range with it today it was still crappy. On 8 power and with the parallax set at 100 yards I could come close to reading the printing on the target but as soon as I increased power at all everything went south. And the reticle was almost invisible.

I loosened the lock ring on the focus screwed it in all the way and it seemed a little better but still only on 8 power. I kept shooting the rifle and cleaning the bore every 3 shots and then messing with the scope. In a last ditch effort I started turning the parallax to higher yardages (clockwise on the threads). Just kept turning until things suddenly started to improve, which makes no sense. So I looked at the parallax numbers to see where it was actually at and low and behold it's on 25 yards.

Digressing a little bit, I bought this scope off of ebay, worth the money if I could make it work. It appears that the parallax had been un-screwed too far at some point and was out of wack a full turn. So now I turned it clockwise to 100 yards and began to work on the focus. Presto, problem solved. Now from 8 to 32 it looks pretty darn good.

I could actually see the target and reticle clearly. The gun is shooting great for using ammo borrowed from my Howa 204 (because if fit well).

Continue Reading


Back to CenterFire Central

Last Modified: Thursday, March 30, 2017 11:26 AM